Since our start, we’ve been hard at work connecting gamers around the world, and we continue to deliver on that mission. Today we’re excited to announce three new points of presence (POPs) in Asia, as well as the expansion of our event presence to more international gaming shows.
3 New POPs: Hong Kong, Japan, and South Korea
After widening our presence and strengthening our quality of service in the US and Europe over the past few years, we made a concerted effort to provide the best Twitch experience to our many broadcasters and viewers in Asia. We’re proud to announce completion of three new POPs in Hong Kong, Japan, and South Korea!
This is in addition to recent upgrades in Europe (London, Frankfurt, Stockholm, and Amsterdam) and new or upgraded POPs in the U.S. (Seattle, Chicago, Miami, and San Jose, California).
Expanded International Event Presence
In addition to our continued presence at gamescom 2015 from Cologne, Germany, this year we’ll be dropping booths for the first time at PAX Australia, Electronic Game Show in Mexico, and Tokyo Game Show in Japan. All of these events will feature a stage for publishers and developers to showcase their games to audiences around the world and feature hosts from Twitch and the broader broadcasting community.
Today we’re proud to announce what’s going down in the interactive areas and exhibits at TwitchCon 2015. We’re especially thankful to Intel RealSense Technology, ArenaNet, and Wargaming for joining as presenting sponsors for our inaugural event!
Besides the great Panels and Meet & Greets already announced, here are some of the many things you can watch, learn about, and play with at TwitchCon:
- The Intel Gaming Lab: Get your game on by going back to the lab in our Intel-powered gaming LAN featuring 144 gaming rigs where you’ll be able to interact and play with dozens of popular Twitch broadcasters in games such as H1Z1, League of Legends, Minecraft, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, World of Warships, Guild Wars 2, and more.
- The Education Zone: We’ve dedicated an entire floor to a variety of products a broadcaster needs to create a professional channel. Brands include Antlion Audio, Skreens, Esport.us, TwitchAlerts, Teespring, Elgato Gaming, GameWisp, Skype, Flood Gaming, HoneyLedger, and more. Making its debut at TwitchCon will be Gameshow, a new brand and product designed specifically for Twitch community. Amazon and Amazon Associates will also present product showcases.
In order to give our international and multilingual users a more cohesive chat experience, we’ve launched Broadcaster Language Mode.
Turn on Broadcaster Language Mode to let your community chat exclusively in your preferred language with other native language speakers.
Studio Wildcard, the creator of ARK: Survival Evolved, today revealed “Survival of the Fittest”, a brand new PVP deathmatch mode for ARK! To get the blood flowing, Twitch and Studio Wildcard are teaming up to bring you a 35-team “Survival of the Fittest” tournament live from Twitch HQ! Join Studio Wildcard’s Kayd Hendricks and Twitch’s Alex “Goldenboy” Mendez as they break down this new mode, tournament carnage, and interviews with the players.
What’s at stake? The winning tribe will receive a $20,000 Grand Prize, as well extra goodies from Logitech and Gunnar Optiks.
Hey, did we tell you that viewers can participate during the event?! While the teams battle it out, you can vote on Evolution Events–powerful world-altering sequences–that will occur every 30 minutes (Freak Weather, Dino Assault, Supply Drop).
So make sure to tune into on August 1, 2015, at 12:00pm PT, on SurviveTheARK. The action promises to be dino-mite!
Twitch is offering to fly out one special fan (and their friend) to San Francisco with an all-access pass (that means VIP party access, meet and greets with top broadcasters, tour of the event with Twitch staff, & more!) for TwitchCon, but we want to learn more about you before we pick somebody. Here’s the challenge:
Make a 30-90 second highlight on your Twitch channel explaining why you love Twitch and/or why Twitch should send you to TwitchCon. Then, tweet it to us @Twitch using the hashtags #TwitchCon and #PurpleTicketContest.
Before you run off and make another Avatar, we’ve got a few rules and regulations. Here are the major guidelines:
- This must be your video, created and filmed by you for this contest! No re-using cool movie clips, stunt footage or anything.
- Submissions must not exceed 90 seconds in length.
- Submissions must be cut as a Twitch highlight.
- The title of the video must include “TwitchCon Purple Ticket”
- The video can include other people, but only the person who submits the video will have the chance to win.
- The video should be in English and the submitter must be over the age of 18 and reside in the United States
- Your video must adhere to our Rules of Conduct and Terms of Service.
We’ll select the best, brightest, most exciting and heartfelt videos and send one lucky broadcaster and a friend to San Francisco to attend TwitchCon from September 25th-26th! Twitch will supply travel, accommodations and an all-access pass to enjoy the ultimate TwitchCon experience.
As you may have already heard, we’re beginning to roll out a redesign of our video player on web.
Choice Chamber is finally upon us! The first game designed from the ground-up to be played live on Twitch is officially launching TODAY. And it’s going to be cray.
As Choice Chamber is broadcast on your channel, anyone watching can use the chat to participate in the game. As the player navigates one dangerous chamber after the next, you can choose to be helpful, or you can choose to be evil. You can band together to help the broadcaster reach higher levels (fun!), or you can be the instrument of their demise (even more fun?). Or let anarchy reign, if that’s what you’re into.
The Evolution Championship Series is the largest and longest-running fighting game tournament series on Earth. Evo brings together the world’s best in a dazzling exhibition of skill and competitive spirit with over $300,000 in prize money on the line. It’s an atmosphere unlike any other for players and fans alike.
WHEN: Friday, July 17th – Sunday, July 19th
WHERE: EVO Event Page
This just in: E3 2015 was huge (pronounced yooooge). All of the great content we scheduled along with all of you who rebroadcasted the content and commented over it sent the viewership numbers out of this galaxy. “E3 2015″ as a game category warped through space and time and popped out of a black hole into #6. (We promise that will be the last space-related pun for E3 2015.) Onto the games…
A flip-flop near the top saw Hearthstone put Dota 2 in a handlock to take over the #3 slot. The survival game du jour, ARK: Survival Evolved, streaked up the list to debut at #5, making it seem as easy as riding a dinosaur.
In the movers and [earth]shakers category, World of Tanks cleared a path of destruction up the list, rolling five spots into #10. Not to be outdone, Heroes of the Storm had a pretty hot(s) month as well, storming six spots into #12.
And now the Top 20.
Never miss a second of your favorite Twitch broadcasts with our new mobile Pop-Out Player. Rolling out on Android first, this feature lets you watch a broadcast even when you’re outside of our app.
This means you won’t have to choose between playing Hearthstone and watching it, texting your friends or keeping tabs on a new speedrun, or any other thing your multitasking heart desires. Now, you can do all of it at the same time.
Here’s how our new Pop-Out Player works:
- To enable the feature simply tap the pop-out icon* located on the bottom right corner of the video player or access it via the Settings cog.
- Once in pop-out mode, you can change the size of the player with your fingers.
- To exit pop-out mode, tap the pop-in icon on the left of the player. This returns you to the app and resumes the broadcast from where you left off.
*If you’re on a smartphone, this pop-out icon is only visible in landscape mode.
We are happy to announce we’ve added significant server capacity to our transcode infrastructure.
To provide the best possible viewing experience, Twitch provides transcodes – High, Medium, and Low quality options – on our most popular channels. Without these options, every viewer would be forced to watch the exact same video stream. And because download speeds vary by ISP and individual, broadcasters using a single stream must choose between a stream which is too bandwidth intensive for everyone to watch smoothly, or broadcast at a low bitrate.
Starting today, it’s a whole lot easier to broadcast your Android game directly to Twitch. Developed by Sony Mobile, Screen Recorder lets you easily broadcast your live gaming action on a variety of Xperia devices, including Xperia Z3+, Xperia Z4 ,Xperia Z4v, as well as the Xperia™ Z4 Tablet.
- Capture and broadcast gameplay from most Android games.
- Video capture from the front-facing camera.
- Audio capture using an internal or external microphone.
- Hide/unhide the controls and camera view or mute audio – all during a live broadcast.
- See how many people are watching your broadcast, as well as number of comments from chat.
To try out mobile broadcasting for Android, install Screen Recorder from Google Play,
It’s almost here! MINECON is arriving this weekend and from July 4-5, players of all ages and from all corners of the globe will gather in London to celebrate Minecraft and its community. MINECON 2015 is shaping up to be the biggest MINECON yet with Minecraft-related discussion panels, gameplay sessions, keynote speeches from members of the community, building contests, costume contests, and many more exhibits. The team at Mojang invites you to tune in to the show throughout the weekend via the official livestream, which will be hosted on Xbox One and Xbox 360 through the Twitch app and on Twitch.tv.
Three streams will be live at twitch.tv/minecon throughout the weekend:
· twitch.tv/mojang – The main MINECON stream, from the Studio in the Expo Hall (North Halls)
· twitch.tv/mineconstage – Dedicated Main Stage Stream (South Halls)
· twitch.tv/mineconpanel – Dedicated Panel Room 1 Stream (S1 & S2)
Since the dawn of the time, our users have yearned to connect to chat using HTML5 instead of Flash – we’re pleased to announce this is now a reality. HTML5 chat is rolling out today.
With our shiny new WebSockets chat implementation, you’ll experience:
- Speed: Chat loads nearly 4x faster on average
- Efficiency: Chat uses fewer CPU resources, especially in busy chat rooms
- The Future: This is a big step towards a complete HTML5 Twitch experience
Thank you one and all for making E3 2015 amazing. Thank you game publishers for making the games we love. Thank you viewers for tuning in. And thank you partners for taking part in this E3 like never before. See below for a handy infographic we drew up to highlight all the goodness.
We’ll see you all next year!